The Senate (from hereon Senate) of Mykolas Romers University (from hereon University) is the management body of academic affairs of the University. The Senate shall be elected for a 5-year term.
Current Senate members were elected from the academic community of Mykolas Romeris University – lecturers and academics (appointed to their posts for a 5-year term by public competition or having entered into a non-terminated labour contract with the University) at a meeting (Dec. 17th, 2019 Protocol No. 10K-103 (1.3K-403). The current Senate began activities on Jan. 16th, 2020.
There are 4 Senate commissions: Studies, Research and Doctoral; Statute Oversight and Ethics, Personnel, and Economic and Financial Affairs.
The Senate, in accordance with the MRU Statute, executes the following functions:
- defines the procedure of studies;
- approves programmes of studies, research and experimental (social, cultural) development, and presents proposals to the Rector regarding the funding of these programmes and reorganisation of the University structure, which is necessary for the implementation of those programmes, evaluates the results of conducted research and the entire University‘s quality and level of research and artistic activities.
- approves the internal system of quality assurance in studies and controls its implementation;
- sets qualification requirements for positions of teaching and research staff members, lays down the procedure of performance evaluation of teaching and research staff members as well as the procedure of organisation of a competition to fill a position;
- convenes University academic community meetings (conferences) to discuss important University issues. The Senate shall inform the academic community about the decision to convene such a meeting (conference) not later than 7 calendar days before the meeting through the University website or other means determined by the Senate;
- on the recommendation of the Faculty Council and taking into account a person‘s academic or pedagogical and/or other worthy societal achievements, bestows University honorary and other titles;
- initiates an audit of academic activities and study quality;
- considers and submits proposals to the Council regarding the University‘s vision and mission and the strategic action plan;
- considers and submits proposals to the Council regarding amendments of the Statute;
- considers and submits proposals to the Council regarding suitability of candidates to fill the position of the Rector;
- considers and submits proposals to the Council regarding plans for reorganisation or liquidation of the University;
- considers and submits proposals to the Council regarding the procedure of management, use and disposal of University funds (as well as funds designated for salaries of the administration and other employees) and the procedure for assets belonging by the right of ownership and its use;
- considers and submits proposals to the Council regarding the setting of the general number of studies‘ places taking into account the possibilities of quality assurance in studies, research and artistic activities;
- performs other functions outlined by legal acts and this Statute.