Rector Prof. Žalėnienė Presented University’s 2021 Report: International Recognition & Focus on Community Welfare
Faculty of Public Governance and Business
Faculty of Human and Social Studies
March 24th, 2022, Mykolas Romeris University (MRU) Prof. Rector Inga Žalėnienė presented the annual 2021 report to MRU's community. Among the most important achievements were successful cooperation with foreign universities, graduate employability indicators, university ratings in international rankings, achievements in project activities, visibility of MRU experts in the public sphere, implementation of sustainable development strategy and the establishment of MRU's Community Welfare Center.
Strong Partnership Between MRU & Ukraine's Academic Community
Beginning the presentation, MRU Rector Prof. Žalėnienė noted that at the end of last year in the face of challenges due to the pandemic, the united MRU academic community looked with hope to the coming year. However, the year 2022 brought new challenges to the entire democratic world.
"The meaning of academic activity, education and civic maturity becomes even more pr0nounced now that we are experiencing a war waged against the heroic nation of Ukraine, when we are placing war refugees who have lost their homes and loved ones in the University Student House," the Rector noted.
Already in 2021 there were about 100 Ukrainian students studying at MRU. The University fosters a close partnership with 26 academic partners in Kyiv, Kharkiv, Lviv, Zaporizhia and other Ukrainian cities. Thus MRU and Ukrainian citizens are bound by a close friendship, At this time the University is striving to create the best possible conditions for Ukrainian students to obtain a quality education in a safe environment. Ukrainians coming from a war-torn country are allowed the possibility to study for free at MRU. They can apply for scholarships and continue their academic journey by obtaining a higher education in Lithuania. Those that are unable to attend live classes on campus due to the ongoing situation, have the possibility to begin studies online remotely.
Outstanding University Evaluations
MRU - is the only higher education institution in Lithuania's history which was ranked in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2020 and MRU's Law School had the distinction to be ranked among the 250 best universities globally. In 2021, the University retained its strong position and also was ranked in the 210th position.
In 2021, MRU was the only university in Lithuania evaluated by the UI GreenMetric evaluation and placed 197th among the most sustainable universities in the European region. According to the Rector, and in accordance with Lithuania's Research Council's 2021 evaluation, MRU is one of the best universities in social sciences in Lithuania.
"Trust in MRU as a solid academic partner, that can not only participate but also coordinate international projects, is shown by the achievements in project activities," said the Rector.
She also mentioned the significant increase in the number of foreign students, especially doctoral students, which reflects MRU’s growing competitiveness in the international arena. There were 14 bilateral cooperation agreements signed with foreign universities, 75 cooperation agreements on the local and international level, with public and private sector partners, and 27 new academic exchange agreements.
In 2021, MRU Vilnius King Sejong Institute (KSI) was chosen as one of the three best institutes in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, and won an Excellence Award for its activities.
During the event, MRU Senate Chairman Prof. Dr. Romas Prakapas, presented 3 Certificates of Appreciation to the following members of MRU's academic community:
- Public Security Academy Dean Prof. Snieguolė Matulienė
- MRU Deputy Rector Assoc. Prof. Saulius Spurga
- MRU Senate member and Law Prof. Dr. Agnė Tvaronavičienė
Then, MRU Rector Prof. Žalėnienė recognized the following MRU academics and staff with Certificates of Appreciation:
- Prof. Dr. Vilma Čingienė
- Assoc. Prof. Gražina Čiuladienė
- MRU Student House/Dorm Director Nijolė Jansonienė
- Assoc. Prof. Salvija Mulevičienė
- Law and Public Procurement Office Deputy Director Karolina Pranckūnienė
- MRU Senate Member and Vice-Dean Prof. Aurelija Pūraitė
- Prof. Agota Giedrė Raišienė
- Law School Vice-Dean Assoc. Prof. Dovilė Sagatienė
- Public Security Academy Vice-Dean Danguolė Seniutienė
- MRU Environmental Management LAB Head Prof. Dr. Paulo Pereira
- MRU Sr. Librarian Benita Sušinskaitė
- MRU Expert Activity and Research unit Head Dr. Indrė Špokienė
- Community Welfare Center Social Affairs Dept. Project Head Anželika Vėžienė
- King Sejong Institute Administrator Karolina Zakarauskaitė
- Assoc. Prof. Povilas Aleksandravičius
- IT Center Technical Oversight Group Head Rimvydas Bertašius
- MRU Research and Innovation Center Project Dept. Head Renata Tamašauskienė